Your Story
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Learning when and how to use the apostrophe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Base

Base

Score : 18

Learning when and how to use the apostrophe Empty
PostSubject: Learning when and how to use the apostrophe   Learning when and how to use the apostrophe I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 am

Hello everyone,

This lessons aims to show you how to use and when to use an apostrophe. An apostrophe looks like this: '

Depending where you're from in the world, the apostrophe can have two different uses:

1. It is almost always used as a signifier for a contraction. For example, 'I don't have it.' The 'don't' has an apostrophe after the 'n' and before the 't'.

2. If you look at my previous example, I used apostrophes as speech marks. In England, that is an acceptable way of doing so because we would use the quotation marks (") for showing something of significance.

There is one thing that you should NEVER do with apostrophes: that is to use them to create plurals. It is grammatically incorrect to say, for example, 'Game's or DVD's'. It should just be 'Games' and 'DVDs' respectively.

Thank you for reading, I hope that this has helped you. Very Happy

Base
Back to top Go down

Learning when and how to use the apostrophe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Story :: General :: Punctuation and Grammar-
Jump to: